After you have purchased your Guided Independent Study, you will be contacted by Maryanne Grebenstein from The Abbey Studio to discuss your experience level and your desired goals, and to schedule your sessions. You will have a choice of meeting "virtually" online, or via in-person learning at The Abbey Studio & Shop, 84 Washington Street, Marblehead, Massachusetts.
Purchasing this as a gift? Upon purchase, you will receive a link to download a certificate that you can provide to your gift recipient. It also contains instructions for them on how to get started with their sessions.
Completely customized learning—this is a unique study opportunity to improve all aspects of your calligraphy. Guided by Maryanne Grebenstein, this program will provide you with one-on-one guidance and critique, and can cover the full range of calligraphic skills, including:
- improving the consistency and beauty of your lettering
- creating decorated capitals
- incorporating color into your calligraphy
- utilizing multiple sizes of lettering in you layout
- creating layouts and strong compositions
- creating a hand lettered manuscript
- drawing and painting medieval beasts
- drawing and painting medieval herbs, medicines and flowers
The Calligraphy Independent Study program is geared to students with a familiarity of basic calligraphic concepts (pen angle and pen scale) and some experience using a dip pen.
The curriculum is open and can include nearly any aspect of calligraphy. The intention is to build on your existing skills, improve consistency in lettering, and introduce you to more advanced techniques, ultimately creating professional-looking calligraphy.
Note: Promotional discounts do not apply to this program.
If you have questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (781) 740-9000.
|Is this a gift?|
No, this is for me, Yes, this is a gift
- Multiple sizes of calligraphy dip-pens and holders
- .3 mm or .5 mm mechanical pencil
- Drafting table /light box
- Drafting tape
- Drafting vellum (or tracing vellum, not tracing paper)
- Selection of Gouache
- Calligraphy paper and/or high quality art paper
- Ordinary yellow (i.e. Dixon Ticonderoga) pencil
- White plastic eraser
- Comfortable work area with good lighting